This STITCH CLUB week went by
working on a piece for the workshop of
The strip-weaving was well known to me
because that was in one of Jude Hill's classes
and gladly I used that more then once
so no problems there.
You could definitely say that Sue
is a portrait specialist,
so on her strip-woven piece she made a portrait.
I thought about that
collected coloured strips
(which are there in abundance)
but didn't come up with a good idea
I would want for a portrait
(or too many idea's perhaps)
So I collected a second bit of (different) coloured fabrics
and wove my background.
The idea of the rose was of course there before I chose the pinks,
the rose itself I sketched from a rose on the "web"
Thin paper to stitch through
and three dark enough pearl cottons
that would stand out against the sweet pinks.
Those cottons, thát was one of my mistakes :
my hand (arthritis) ached soon
because of the three layers of my weave !
Here everything looked still all right
(removing the tissue paper gave me the déja vu
of a shredded paper hanky from the washing machine !!!)
And I thought the result was a disaster :
the rose simply disappeared !
(I posted it in the group anyway,
if only to show that most of the time you have to try
many times before something good emerges !)
I left it alone for a day or so
and thought about unpicking, stitch or even paint ...
back to the stitching
(with stranded cotton floss !!!)
and the rose came back to me !