woensdag 17 november 2010

small stitches

I've always been impressed by the work the Kuna Indian women
( who live on the San Blas Islands, Panama ) are making.
The "mola" is part of their clothing. And although there have
been influences from foreign "conquerors", until this day
they pretty much stick to their own culture in this matter!
Many years ago I bought a mola (which is hanging on the wall)
Mola's are made in "reverse appliqué" with the tiniest of stitches!
( not a very good picture through the glass!)

In the October journal quilt that I'm working on now 
the pumpkin  has a zigzag mouth cut out.

After stitching it I admire the Kuna women even more !!!

I want to add a lot of faces in this piece, and although there are some
already in it I'm not sure yet how to continue.
So probably I will start on "November" ...
 then I'll have a bit more time to think about those other faces.


About two weeks ago I told Sandra that my fabric was neatly stored
on colour
in my IKEA chests of drawers.
I promissed that I would show her how it is
when I start looking for the right colour of fabric to work with.
;-)


(two out of four ...)


But móst of the time I'm working in the livingroom ... which means:
stacks and stacks and stacks on the dinnertable ... or on the floor.
( ... so much for tidiness ...)




  

3 opmerkingen:

  1. Zo dat ziet er echt heel netjes uit, Els. Het lijkt me een heel handig systeem, je hebt zo een overzicht op kleur. Ik werk ook in de woonkamer, maar mijn meeste stoffen liggen op zolder, dat is echt niet handig.... het gevolg is dat er nu dus ook een stel in mijn bureaulade liggen, en in een mandje op het bureau... slinger de slinger is het eigenlijk. Er slingert hier van alles :) Leuk dat je een link naar mijn blog hebt gemaakt, dank je wel.

    Ik weet nog niet of ik naar de expositie van Jeroen Krabbee ga, het lijkt me zo aangrijpend....

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. it looks like a fabric store.
    i like mola's too.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Lovely blog Els. I look forward to watching your monthly journal cloths completed.
    Love Molas....and Hmong work.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen